|Total GMAT Math
Jeff's complete Quant guide, on sale now!
|Total GMAT Verbal
Everything you need to ace GMAT Verbal!
1,800 Practice Math Questions
Buy Jeff's books at Amazon.com
GMAT Official Guide, with IR
OG Math | OG Verbal
OG12 & Quant Rev solutions!
GMAT Question of the Day
Beginner's Guide to the GMAT
GMAT Hacks Affiliate Program
- General Study Tips
- Goals and Planning
- CAT Strategy
- The Mental Game
- GMAT Math Strategy
- GMAT Math Topics
- Mental Math
- Data Sufficiency
- Critical Reasoning
- Reading Comprehension
- Sentence Correction
- Analytical Writing Assessment
- Integrated Reasoning
- IR Explained
- Business School Admissions
- GMAT Prep Resources
- Practice Questions
- Total GMAT Math
- Total GMAT Verbal
- GMAT 111
IR Explained: Q26: Charting Ages
August 8, 2012
|You should follow me on Twitter. While you're at it, take a moment to subscribe to GMAT Hacks via RSS or Email.|
This Graphics Interpretation question is as close as you'll get to pure math on the Integrated Reasoning section.
The pie chart breaks down a town's population into age groups: 20% are children 0-12 years of age, 25% are teenagers 13-19 years of age, and so on. Note that every age group is represented, making five groups in all.
26A asks you to compare "children or teenagers" to "seniors." Children represent 20% of the population while teenagers represent 25%, for a total of 45%. Seniors make up 17%.
Put another way, the question asks "45% is how many times 17%?" To answer, simply divide 45/17. In fractional terms, that's 2 11/17, or a bit more than 2.5. Only one possible answer is anywhere close: 2.65.
26B requires that you convert percentages into numbers. We're told that 540 is the difference between the number of people aged 39 and under and those aged 40 and over.
First, we need to find the difference in percentages. The percentage of townspeople aged 39 and under is 20% + 25% + 23% = 68%. That leaves 100% - 68% = 32% as the number aged 40 and over.
Thus, 68% - 32% = 36% is the difference between the two age groups. The question tells us that 540 is the difference, so 36% of the population is equal to 540. Put in algebraic terms:
540 = 0.36t
t = 540/0.36
t = 54000/36 [multiply top and bottom by 100]
t = (54/36)*1000 [factor out 1000 to simplify the comparison between 54 and 36]
t = (1.5)*1000 [divide 54 and 36 by 18]
t = 1500
If you were pressed for time, you could approximate and still likely end up with the right answer. Simply change 540 to 500 and 0.36 to 1/3:
500 = 1/3t
500(3) = t
1500 = t
Even if you didn't pick exactly the right numbers to approximate with, it would be unlikely to end up so far off to pick the other choices, such as 1,080 and 2,400.
Stay tuned (or subscribe) for more Integrated Reasoning explanations
About the author: Jeff Sackmann has written many GMAT preparation books, including the popular Total GMAT Math, Total GMAT Verbal, and GMAT 111. He has also created explanations for problems in The Official Guide, as well as 1,800 practice GMAT math questions.
|Total GMAT Verbal
The comprehensive guide to the GMAT Verbal section. Recognize, dissect, and master every question type
you'll face on the test. Everything you need, all in one place, including 100+ realistic practice questions.